It’s “not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord of hosts.” (Zec. 4:6)
As I read through the Scripture and see what I refer to as the “paradoxes of God”, I become increasingly convinced that there is no way that a true disciple of Jesus Christ can be transformed into His image without the supernatural indwelling Holy Spirit. God’s ways are 180 degrees removed from the world’s ways and the only way we can obey His instruction to “be not conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of our minds” can only take place through allowing His Word and His Spirit to have dominion in our lives. I will just share a few of these “paradoxes” so you get a better understanding of our need for God’s transforming power.
- God’s strength is made perfect in weakness. (2 Cor. 12:9)
- Blessed are the meek. (Mt. 5:5)
- To be the greatest you must become a servant. (Mt. 20:26)
- To save your life you must lose it. (Mt. 16:25, Mk. 8:35, Lk. 17:33)
- To receive abundantly you must give generously. Whatever you need more of in life give it away. (Lk. 6:38)
- You are more blessed when you give than when you receive. (Acts 20:35b)
- Count it all joy when you fall into trials. (Jam. 1:2)
- Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you. (Mt. 5:44)
- Be fair, just and honest in every aspect of business. (Prov. 11:1, 20:23; Deut. 25:13, 15).
- Love unconditionally (1 Cor. 13:4-7)
The next time you feel that you have arrived as a Christian, just remind yourself of these yardsticks. I know I have been weighed in the balances and been found wanting. But let us be encouraged. If God requires it He has also given us the power to achieve it. He has given us His Word (2 Tim. 3:16-17), His Holy Spirit (John 14:16), His armour (Eph. 6:10-17); prayer (Eph. 6:18); power and authority over ALL power of the enemy (Lk. 10:19); fellow Christians (Jam. 5:16). Therefore, let us be strong and of good courage and press on to victory!! If God is for us who can be against us? (Rom. 8:31). He will never leave us nor forsake us. The battle is not for the swift but for those who endure to the end (Mt. 24:13).
Let us cry out to be filled up with God’s indwelling Holy Spirit so that we will be transformed into the image of Jesus Christ and bring His saving power to the nations!!